Annual Gift

The Annual Giving Center

Andre HarrellAndre Harrell Answers the Call

“My journey through FIU has been a long but memorable one. The people I have met here have played a huge role in my life and my growth,” said Andre Harrrell, a senior criminal justice major who one day aspires to work for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Part of his journey includes his involvement as a student caller in the Annual Giving Center, operated through the Office of Annual Giving. Officially opened on Feb. 20, 2012, the Center houses 20 calling stations and employs up to 70 student callers in its new location in the Blue Parking Garage on the Modesto A. Maidique Campus.
A First Generation Scholarship recipient, Harrell decided to be a student caller because he enjoys talking to people and appreciates that his job plays a critical role in FIU’s growth.

Creating Opportunities

Serving as a way to give back, Harrell speaks with a wide spectrum of alumni from different schools and colleges within FIU. “I have learned a lot about FIU and its past and how we are blessed to have all these developments now,” he said.
Some of these developments have opened doors to a more holistic college experience for students like Harrell. As vice president of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and former historian of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Harrell has impacted others for the better through his volunteer work. He participated in Relay for Life and was the winner of the FIU Homecoming 2011-2012 Step Show. A track and field athlete for the past four years, he has also been on the Honor Roll for the Sun Belt Conference and a member of the FIU Athletics 3.0 club.
Harrell is grateful for the opportunity to contribute to FIU in such a meaningful way. “My role as a caller is very significant in the mission of the Annual Giving Center,” he said. “If I do my job the right way, not only do I help with annual funding, but I also help with building that bond for alumni.”